“Ooh, baby, do you know what that’s worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven love comes first
We’ll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth”
Are you planning a BBQ over the weekend? These burger buns are seriously the best! Honestly, I cannot stress enough how good they are.
I couldn’t get hold of burger buns in the shops so figured I’d make my own. (And yes, I know I’m lucky to still have some yeast too).
They’re a cinch to make and I left them to prove overnight so on the actual day all I had to do was take them out to rise, then roll and bake.
And well, I’ll be making my own from now because HOLY MOLY. They’re incredibly light and fluffy and just amazing.
Here is the recipe:
The Best Burger Buns
•2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 cup warm water
• 1 large egg
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
• 3 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 tablespoon milk
• sesame seeds, or as needed
1. Place yeast into bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup flour and warm water until smooth. Let stand until mixture is foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Whisk 1 egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt thoroughly into yeast mixture. Add remaining flour (about 3 cups).
3. Fit a dough hook onto stand mixer and knead the dough on low speed until soft and sticky, 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Transfer dough onto a floured work surface; dough will be sticky and elastic.
5. Drizzle olive oil into a bowl, and turn dough over in the bowl several times to coat surface thinly with oil. Cover and let rise about 2 hours. (Or leave overnight in fridge)
6. Transfer dough back to a floured work surface and pat to flatten bubbles and form into a slightly rounded rectangle of dough about 5×10 inches and about 1/Form each piece into a round shape, gently tucking ends underneath as before.
7. Let buns rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
8. Preheat oven to 180 c.
9. Finally egg or milk wash and sprinkle each bun with sesame seeds.
10. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned on top, 12 to 15 minutes.